Tuesday 19 March 2013

Eat yourself well

the Saigon Times publishes a weekly magazine in English. My favourite column is 'Remedies from Foods'  For me it brings traditional Asian remedies bang up to date for the 21st century and it is always an eye-opener.


 This week they cover Chili, ginger, honey, olive oil, tea tomatoes, vinegar yogurt and water; not bad for a one page article. 

Did you know that a cold infusion of chopped red chilis can be used to alleviate pain.Soak a flannel in the infusion and put it on the affected are for 30-60 minutes and repeat until the pain disappears. The chili stimulated blood circulation in the affected area and promotes healing.



We all know that ginger is god for tummy upsets but did you know it's also good for diziness? I didn't. Boil the root and drink the tea - that's all.





Honey can be applied to mosquito bites to reduce the swelling and itching. Nobody told me that and boy, for three months my body looked like a target in a firing range I had so many bites. I think I have reached a state of balance and harmony with the mozzies but I do need something to put on my ankles that is utterly regnent to ants .............. suggestions on a postcard please.

Olive oil makes an effective balm for joint strains and dislocations because Oleic Acid is an effective anti-inflammatory agent.

Did you know that the tanin in tea is a coagulant and tea bags can be applied to open woulds to stem the bleeding?

Carotene in tomatoes is good for soothing sunburned skin - just apply a few slices after the beach or a day on the streets of Saigon.





Rinse your hair with warm water and vinegar to keep dandruff at bay. as a child we had to use Vosene shampoo - gosh I can still smell it now - it was dark brown like Pear's soap and smelled like a sanitorium. Yuck!

Yogurt can prevent gum infections and associated inflammations - the only problem is that you have to hold it in your mouth for as long as possible to enjoy the benefits. Hmmm- not sure about that one!



Studies show that intake of artichoke can help protect the liver, lower the cholesterol level in the blood and blood sugar, stimulate the secretion of bile, relieve joint pain and facilitate urination. Artichoke drinks are refreshing and can boost the functioning of the liver.

The columnist has an entire tome on the subject of constipation as well - from banana and carrots to apples, oranges, cucumber and some seeds. I guess what is required is a balanced diet - almost anything can prevent or cure that particular complaint.

It's fascinating isn't it!

While I am here I am going to eat more Centella asiatica which is good for forgetfulness and fading vision in the elderly!


With thanks to The Saigon Times Weekly

No comments:

Post a Comment