Wednesday 3 October 2012

Sounds of a calm evening


Tonight is still and warm.  A breeze is blowing through the house and, sitting in my upstairs window I can hear such a variety of foreign sounds.

The rhythmic chanting and occasional gong ringing at the local temple wafts through the moist warmth.

From the high street just a hundred metres away or so, the perpetual burrr of moped and bikes is drowned out, every 15 minutes or so by the distinctive warbling horn of the buses as they warn bikers to make way. 

In the background, the constant chattering of the cicadas and crickets in the darkness of the undergrowth.

A lone swimmer sploshed into the swimming pool and almost silently glides up and down illuminated only by a single yellow light lifting a streak of turquoise tiling out of the gloom below me.

Children are playing and laughing behind the privacy of a bamboo blind and in my room the fan whirrs to and fro and grinds a little as it returns from the farthest arc.

An impatient knock at my door tells me Chloe Mai is home!

2 comments: