Monday 26 November 2012

Sunday afternoon in Saigon



This church is just as pink on the outside as on the inside! I have to say - I found it quiet uplifting. I wonder if they will get round to painting the benches too.
I found this lantern workshop in China town. These huge lanterns had just been made and were out in the sun to dry. Inside they were busy painting more in preparation for the new year celebrations in January.
I think you must be able to hire these for special occasions. I looks more fun than a stretch limo.

I found it almost impossible to choose which rice to buy and there were five more stalls right next door to choose from as well! I just went for the most expensive at 60p for a kilo of high grade Thai Rice .. grown in Vietnam .
This must be the most delicious lunch wagon I have seen so far. Look at the way her food is stacked in the glass case. Top left inside the case are neat towers of perfectly cooked prawns.
The two big pans had delicious soups in them . 

You take a bowl of soup and then add noodles, vegetables, herbs and condiments to your own taste. this is known as Pho ( pronounced fur) and is the most famous dish of south east Asia.
This is Ben Hoa market, a very old chinese style building down by the riverfront in China Town. You can see one of the rice stalls bottom left.
Ah, back at Mekong Merchant to write my latest blog post. This is the view from my laptop today.

This wonderful establishment has free wifi ( fairly standard for even the most basic of street cafes these days), serves delicious wines, has a big breakfast menu and makes the best scrambled eggs on toast I have ever enjoyed.
Have a good week everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bridget,
    From the evidence thus far, there is no hint that you are missing the wet, gloomy, windy, rainy, flooded Blighty. Some of those street scenes remind me so much of the early days of Singapore and south east Asia, but Vietnam has retained all those charms which many developing countries have eradicated. Enjoy all your sketches and paintings! xx

    ReplyDelete