Sunday 9 December 2012

Weather update

As I write, it is 9.30 pm and I am just about to snuggle up under the air conditioning unit with a good book. I am slowly plodding my way through Graham Greene's  'Quiet American' and savouring every paragraph. I have been dipping in and out for nearly a month now!!... pathetic really.

Anyway, as you can see it is currently 81 degrees ( feels like 87) and Saigon is dripping in the steamy wake of a storm that blew up from the Philippines and stirred up the air causing a kind of haze or harr over the city. It also got all the mosquitos excited and they have been feasting on even the toughest of natives. I, of course, am about to give up the fight......... I am constantly surrounded by citronnella candles and tea lights, moquito repelling incense and am lathered in every repelling lotion and oil you can imagine .......but still........... my legs especially look like some kind of battle ground. Ah well.

It the most effective repellent seems to be a fan...... the mozzies don't like a breeze. But they seem to be able to brave even that to dine on some delicate English flesh.

I had my first visitor from the Uk this week. It was absolutely lovely to be able to spend some time with a friend from home for a few days. I was able to show off Swinging Saigon ( as it was known in the 60s) and it all seems  more real, somehow, having shared it with someone close.

There will be more sketches and painting soon. The painting has taken an unexpected turn which I will share with you all later this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment